Tax forms, Tax Preparation

Tax Season is here!!

I know this is the time of the year most people dread. Tax season means dealing with the IRS, getting organized, finding all those tax information reporting documents that have been sent over the course of the last month, and being financially responsible, especially in our accounting for the last year. This is a period of high stress for people as they realize the tax laws change from year to year and keeping up to date on all those new regulations is very confusing. That’s why we’re here!

Being a tax preparer is one of those career paths that I hadn’t dreamed about growing up to do, but love doing as an adult! In the tax industry there’s always more to learn and as someone who enjoys being a life long learner I truly enjoy the constant availability of challenging knowledge and the opportunity to learn more.

Tax preparation begins with choosing the appropriate forms. For the individual return there are the 3 most common choices, 1040EZ, 1040A and the 1040. Depending on the complications of your tax situation and the deductions that you are eligible for will help determine which form is right for you.

You can File Form 1040EZ if:

  • Your filing status is single or married filing jointly.
  • You’re younger than 65. Your spouse also must meet the age requirements if you file a joint return. If you or your spouse’s 65th birthday is Jan. 1, then for filing purposes you are considered to have turned 65 last year and therefore cannot file this form.
  • You (or your spouse if filing jointly) were not legally blind during the last tax year.
  • You have no dependents.
  • Your interest income is less than $1,500.
  • Your income, or combined incomes for joint filers, is less than $100,000.

You can file Form 1040A if:

  • Your taxable income, or combined incomes, is below $100,000.
  • You have capital gain distributions, but no other capital gains or losses.
  • You do not itemize deductions.

You should File Form 1040 if:

  • Your income, or combined incomes for joint filers, is more than $100,000.
  • You itemize deductions.
  • You have self-employment income.
  • You received income from the sale of property.


All of this can be very confusing and these are just some very basic examples of how to determine what forms and schedules are necessary in the preparation of your personal tax return and the information you are responsible for reporting. Don’t panic! This is what we do! We specialize in making certain all of your reporting is correct but also in maximizing the deductions you are eligible for and reducing your overall tax liability.

Come in today and see how we can help simplify your tax situation and make a tax time a happy time! We do free estimates and offer a 10% discount off whatever fees you paid last year (excluding returns filed online). We also can review previous years returns to determine if there is a mistake or additional deductions that can reduce your tax liability and increase your refund! Give us a call today! 970.433.6796


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s